Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Challenge Day 7: Favorite Childhood Toys

I grew up in a rural area where it was 20 minutes to the closest store. The neighborhood I lived in backed up to thick woods where pine trees with branches perfect for climbing on dominated. In the fall and spring we would play man-hunt in the woods which is a game similar to hide and seek but instead of tagging your opponents you threw pine cones at them. (Can you tell I was the only girl in my neighborhood??) in the summer we would be able to find and eat wild blackberries and in the fall there were wild grapes. My dad made us tree forts that we can play in and let our imaginations run free. Most afternoons and weekends my dad would fill us giant cups of water, set them on our porch, and lock the front door. I would run through the woods pretending I was Ayla from J. Auel's "Clan of the Cave Bear" series. The world was my favorite childhood toy.

I had the favorite plastic kind as well. I kept my Barbie dolls prominently displayed in my room until I was 12. I had a billion stuffed animals. I had the original Cabbage Patch kids, my Little Ponies, the Quints, my Little Pet Shop. I played Legos and GI Joes with my big brother. I still have most of those toys in my mom's attic thinking one day I would have a little girl to share it with but with two sons they may end up going to a future neice. I 

No comments:

Post a Comment